MUSIC OF THE SPHERES
The Stradivarius of Wind Chimes
Soprano Tuned Handcrafted Windchimes
The Music Of The Spheres' smallest chime, its sound is delicate yet brilliant. It is available in all ten of the Music Of The Spheres' tunings. The wonderful tones of the ten tunings can be heard by clicking on the appropriate links below, and there's a brief description/history of the tuning for your information. After deciding on your choice, please be sure to indicate which tuning you prefer from the drop down box under the picture above.
One of their most popular tunings, the major Pentatonic scale is the most widely used melodic scale in the world, dating from ancient Greece. Its pattern is familiar as the black notes of the piano keyboard. The chime contains all the notes to "Amazing Grace" as well as "The Eyes of Texas". It blends best with the Hawaiian.
A musical palindrome, the Quartal scale is based on intervals of fourths and fifths. Its smooth and serene sound captivated American composers, notably Aaron Copland and Paul Hindemith, in the early twentieth century.
The Chinese, an inversion of the Pentatonic, is the lightest and sweetest of our scales, sure to evoke a sense of happiness. Its sweetness best complements the more serious Japanese and Balinese.
The Mongolian scale, a livelier version of the Chinese, is reminiscent of church and temple bells. The major pentatonic scale in root position in the key of A, it harmonizes nicely with the Aquarian. Genghis Khan conquered an empire unmatched in size, yet never heard chimes as lovely as these.
An original Larry Roark composition, The Aquarian mirrors the tranquil charm of an Alpine lake or stream. Its refreshing tones mix beautifully in different sizes and also blend with the Mongolian.
The ancient Gypsy scale is still used widely from northern Africa to the Baltic region. Its exotic mix of piquant strains and haunting melodies blends well with the Japanese.
The Hawaiian scale is Polynesian in flavor, reminiscent of a tangy sweet & sour sauce and tropical island breezes. It combines the best of major and minor pentatonic scales. Mix Hawaiian with Pentatonic for a lovely multi-cultural effect.
The Balinese scale recreates the magical strains of the Indonesian gamelon, at once joyous and plaintive. Balinese blends harmoniously with Chinese or Japanese.
The distinctive tones of the Japanese scale are at once deeply soothing and provocative. Its drama complements the more light-hearted Chinese and Balinese.
Claude Debussy, inspired by Balinese music at the 1896 Paris Exposition, began composing with this atonal scale, used for example in his piece "La Mer". Later, television's original Star Trek used it in the "beaming up" sequences. TV and film scores frequently feature it for underwater scenes, dream and "flashback" sequences.
High quality materials, exacting tolerances and methodical assembly protocols ensure lasting quality and beauty.
- Features for the Music Of the Spheres Soprano Wind Chimes include:
- Overall Length: 30"
- Longest Tube: 15"
- Tube Outer Diameter - 7/8"
- Black, Powder-coated Aluminum Alloy Tubing
- Standard Features on all Music Of The Spheres Windchimes:
- Tough synthetic cordage is highly resistant to abrasion, ultra-violet degradation, rot and mildew. Central tube suspension with smoothly polished tube ends prevent cord abrasion typical of other, less labor-intensive suspension techniques.
- Heavy gauge polished stainless steel rings provide sturdy support and enduring beauty.
- Tempered aluminum alloy tubing is custom manufactured to our exacting specifications and will never rust.
- Corrosion-protective finish preserves chime's appearance and increases durability in hostile environments (acid rain, salt air).
- Each Tube is cut and precisely tuned by hand using just intonation, except for the whole tone scale, which uses equal temperment.
- Tubes are tuned to A440, standard orchestral pitch, using the latest in technology.
- Solid polyethylene clappers provide superior tonal quality and outdoor durability.
- The windcatcher, of the same finish and material as the tubes, is the ideal size, weight, and shape for optimal chime performance in 8 - 10 mph wind velocity. The corrosion protective finish provides durability in all kinds of outdoor environments (acid rain, salt air, etc.)
- The windcatcher hook assembly provides simple but effective method of varying the chime's activity level.
- The clapper slides on the central cord up into the ring creating a convenient "off-on" feature.
- Windcatchers can also be easily removed to subdue chime activity under blustery conditions.
- A rigorous final inspection ensures that your chime is up to our high standards of acoustic and visual quality.
- Durability is guaranteed by Music Of The Spheres:
- - 7 years outdoors for Soprano, Mezzo-Soprano and Alto
- -15 years outdoors for Tenor and Bass
- -15 years outdoors Basso Profundo
- Made in the U.S.A.
When you purchase this wind chime, it will be ordered from M.O.T.S. then crafted and shipped directly to you from the Music Of The Spheres shops via UPS Ground transportation. This may entail five to ten business days for shipment, so please allow sufficent time. A valid street address is required for delivery and when the chime is shipped, you will be notified by email and provided with the tracking number.
You can see and hear samples of the beautiful tones from all our windchimes by visiting a CreekTreeUSA Information Page!
Click here for Woodstock Wind Chimes
Click here for all our Grace Note Wind Chimes
Click here for all our Music Of The Spheres Wind Chimes